Login or Join Great Writing now for free!
Preset Styles:

Poets' tavern

Poetry pamphlet by GW member Wendy Pratt

Share your thoughts with poets, and through their words be free. Twas always thus, and always thus shall be.

Moderator: Mods

Poetry pamphlet by GW member Wendy Pratt

Postby Prole » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:19 pm

Prolebooks are proud to announce the publication of two poetry pamphlets by two exciting, yet very different, poets.

One of those poets is Wendy Pratt whose work will be familiar to many Great Writing members. Of Wendy's pamphlet 'Nan Hardwicke Turns into a Hare', celebrated poet Alison Brackenbury says in her preface: 'I was astonished by the courage and generosity of this pamphlet. Many poets, finding in their finished work a powerful story of magic, and briefer lyrics of personal loss, would have eked them out into separate publications. But poetry is a drawing together, and Wendy Pratt excels at the deft and moving assembly of her poems’ world... Its final astonishment is that such power can rest within a handful of lyrical stories, like the woman in the frail body of the hare. I left these compassionate poems with admiration and regret.'

Nan Hardwicke Turns into a Hare can be purchased here
http://www.prolebooks.co.uk/page10.html

Prolebooks' other pamphlet is a collection of 24 poems by Robert Nisbet. From addressing a 21st century 'Hoodie' on 'Merlin's Lane', Robert Nisbet takes the reader on a sentimental and not so sentimental journey through school, adolescence, university and adulthood. This nostalgic collection is in turns funny, moving and satirical.
Phil Carradice, editor at Roundyhouse Magazine, said of Merlin’s Lane: “Merlin's Lane” is the sort of collection we would all loved to have written. Very few of us ever could. And that's what makes it a fascinating, interesting and evocative read. It is an excellent collection of poetry by an excellent writer.

Merlin's Lane can be purchased here
http://www.prolebooks.co.uk/page10.html

To find out more about Prole and Prolebooks please visit
http://www.prolebooks.co.uk/index.html

To find us on facebook
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Prole/236155444300?v=info
Prole

Re: Poetry pamphlet by GW member Wendy Pratt

Postby Prole » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:49 am

Oh - and priced at a very reasonable £4.50.
Prole

No words of congratulations

Postby Prole » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:37 pm

from her peers? Shame on them.

Well on behalf of both editors I would like to wish Wendy continued success and say that it has been a pleasure and a privilege to publish this humble collection.

Prole
Prole

Postby WendyPratt » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:49 pm

Thank you Prole.

Nice to know everyone here at Great Writing, where I've been a member since 2008, can find it in their enormous hearts to wish me all the best. LOL :D :roll: :(

Wendy
http://www.wendypratt.com

Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.
WendyPratt

Postby kanasta » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:53 pm

I'm sure Wendy would get congratulations if she posted something like this herself. I read this with interest, but as an informational sales post, not something that I'd post a reply to. Guilt tripping's not a great tactic from a publisher though - I'm still going to buy the pamphlet because I like Wendy's poems but I do find your approach a bit offputting.
kanasta

Postby Prole » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:10 pm

Hello Kanasta,

In reply I feel I must say that it was Wendy's wish that Prole should post this rather than herself.
Of course it is a sales pitch, Prolebooks is not funded and we could not afford to offer such writers as Wendy publication without all the promoting possible.

As for guilt tripping, no. I post my work here under another name (Brett) and have been very grateful to the handful of active members who read with time and leave informed crit. There has been comments left lately about lack of reviews, lack of support to those writers who need it - as a GW member since 2008 I have seen those who review and support and those who do not, and when one of those who has always been supportive of others has a bit of well deserved success come their way I think a bit of acknowledgement is due. Plus I hate hypocrites and my original comment was aimed at them.

I'm sorry you find my approach offputting, I hope you won't judge Prole as a whole on that.
I'm glad to hear this has resulted in a sale though - I shall look out for it and process it as soon as it comes in.

Regards

Prole
Prole

Postby kanasta » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:55 pm

Hi Brett
I do agree with everything you say above; my point really was just that people will tend to respond differently to a post from a magazine than to a post from an author, and a lack of responses to a post from "Prole" isn't necessarily an indicator of what a response might be to Wendy. Look out for my order on Tuesday, when I will have money rather than moths lining my wallet :lol:
Katy
kanasta

Postby TJW » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:30 pm

I'll polish off a bottle in your name. Congratulations.
TJW

Postby Keith exD » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:30 pm

Hi Brett and Wendy. As you know I have a great respect for the poetry both of you post on this site. However I realise, although I do write poems, I don't know a lot about poetry. Therefore any comments I make are likely to be good, very good or brilliant. Not very consructive, but heartfelt.

I am trying to concentrate on prose - mostly shorts (with very minor success). Since I had a struggle getting it into an accepable form, I try to help others when they look they need help, because it was comments I received (on another site) that really helped me. Maybe that is why I am critical of the amount and quality of comments (ref prose) on GW.

I wish you, Wendy, good luck. You have been very brave publishing some of your excellent and highly personal work and I am chuffed for you. I hope it sells well, both for you and Prole's sake.

(Don't take this as a hint!)... A friend in the US had a book of her poems published a while ago and I wanted to buy it for my mother's Birthday, 'cos she says she likes poetry. My friend sent it for free because I couldn't get Paypal to accept my credit card and they don't have IBAN in the States. Her poetry is mostly freeverse and modern form, when Mum read some she said, "These poems don't rhyme." :roll:

It's taken me a year to get my friend to accept a little prezzie in return for the book and I could never tell her what Mum said ;)

Well done Wend!!!!

Best Wishes
Keith
Keith exD

Postby Swampy Bob » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:18 pm

Simply,well done Wendy.Good news seems to be sparce at times,and I too wish you all the best :wine:

S.B
"All you need in this life are ignorance and confidence,he will by and by convince himself that war is just, and will thank God for the better sleep,let us be thankful for the fools.but for them the rest of us could not succeed".
Swampy Bob

Next

Return to Poets' tavern

Login

Main Menu